Thursday, November 25, 2010

The letter

It was very crowded and everyone was running around. There were people from the media, press, T.V. and some activists I guess, they were holding banners. I felt and looked Lost. I have never been to such gatherings before and it was all a bit strange to me.

I made sure that I have the letter with me, I reminded myself of what I was doing here, took a deep breath and went over to the guy next to me " law sma7t kont 3yza 2a2bel el ostaz Nasser Thabet..2al2eh fen?" The guy looked at me in surprise and he answered with sarcasm " Ostaz Naser haytla3 ye2ol elbayan el so7afy dlw2ty..te2dary tetfadly w ted7'oly tesm3eeh" and he left.

I really needed to talk to him.. I had to give him the letter..I promised my aunt. Everyone was running around and I didn’t know what to do so I thought maybe I should attend the press conference and then try to meet him after.

I went into the room full of people..they looked like they were from all backgrounds. Some of them looked very elegant and made up and others looked very simple and there were some foreigners. Some faces looked familiar but I wasn’t into politics much so didn't recognize most of the people.

And then He came out and stood on the podium. Almost instantly everyone went quiet..there was Something about him..definetly!

He took the stage and it was like he filled the room with his energy. He had a certain Charisma and confidence that was radiant. He started talking and everyone listened.

He talked with such passion about the people, the country, poverty, democracy and things that I didn't quite get. He made a joke everyone laughed and when he frowned it seemed that everyone felt the pain of his words. He worked the audience like a magician and they were all in awe including me. I wondered whether my aunt really fell in love with him and I wondered how he was in his twenties.

After the press conference, it seemed that everyone wanted to talk to him and the press was all over him. All I wanted to do is just hand him the letter.

I waited for almost an hour in the corner looking around at all the different people. It was clear I didn’t belong here, I thought of leaving and maybe just mail it to him but my aunt asked me to give it to him by hand.

After almost two hours he went and sat in a chair surrounded by only two or three people who could have been some of his supporters and he talked so loudly that I almost heard him repeating parts of his speech as I approached.

My heart pounded as I came closer..there was something about this man that made me very nervous..good nervous if there's such a thing!

"Ostaz Nasser" I called..he turned his head looked at me and He gave me the Most amazing smile I have ever seen..I was enchanted.."away ana" he said

I explained that I wanted to talk to him in private about something of vital importance while avoiding looking at his big blue eyes.

The man was in his fifties and he had white hair and blue eyes and was extremely charming even for a girl in her twenties!

He came with me even though he looked a bit skeptic..we sat together in a corner and he insisted to buy me something to drink..and the he asked "2oleley..3yzany fe eh b2a?"

I stuttered as I tried to explain the situation and tried to remind him of my aunt which wasn't easy especially that I know nothing of the details of their relation. But once I said her name his face elated and he said" yaaaaaaaaaaaaah..hya 3mla eh dlw2ty?" and he gave me one of his endearing smiles "tesda2y feeky shabah kbeer mnha...bs hya b2a kanet thawrgya 3nek"

"allah yer7mha" I said " she passed away recently and before she died she gave me this letter and asked me to make sure that its handed to you personally"

His face was turned from a smiling one to stunned and then to deep sadness and concern..I don't know exactly what they had but the news of her death seemed to really sadden him

"Was she sick?" he asked "Yes, she has been struggling with cancer for years" I answered with a sad voice. He took the letter and looked at it for a couple of minutes and looked at me. I assured him that no one knows the content of the letter as she made me promise that no one would open it but him.

When I was about to leave..he asked me to stay while he read the letter..he said having someone who reminded him so much of her may make it easier.

He opened the letter and started reading it with his face giving all kinds of expressions. At a moment he almost laughed and then he frowned and at the end I thought I saw a tear in his eyes.

He looked at me with rather teary eyes and suddenly he was no longer the fifty year old charismatic man..he was the charming twenty something year old dreamer who must have known my aunt back then. He took my hand and said "I never told you..err..your aunt how a beautiful woman she really is..err..was"

I was touched but before I had the chance to say anything someone came to us..i think maybe his son and looked at us holding hands with surprise. That’s when ostaz Nasser left my hand and awkwardly introduced us. I took my bag and told him that I had to go..as I was leaving he called my aunts name so I looked back and he said "Thank you" with the most amazing smile anyone can ever see.

1 comment:

Fady Ezzat said...

Enchanting.. i loved it, every little part